While not all sofas are good at providing lumbar support, there are certainly some that are. But how can you tell them apart when shopping for your new living room couch?
High-quality, absorbent cushions can help those with a bad to decompress their spine. They’re also super comfy. However, if the cushioning makes you sink too low, it can make lower back pain worse. So ideally, you want one that’s not too soft and not too firm.
How to Spot Couches That Provide Back Support
If you suffer from lower back pain, it’s important to find a couch that provides proper back support. But how can you spot couches that will provide that? Here are a few suggestions.
- Proper Support – First and foremost, your sofa should have a strong support structure including a metal or hardwood frame, springs, and memory foam cushion fill are all important features when it comes to finding a supportive sofa with proper lumbar support.
- Reclining Sofas – Sofas with a recliner option can help take the pressure off your spine because it allows you to sit in more of a lying position and eliminates slouching. In addition, these often come with remote controls to help you get out of the chair if you have difficulty standing.
- Chaise/Ottoman Options – Another option for those with back pain is one that includes a way to put your feet up to alleviate pressure on your spine. So you’d want to find a sectional with a chaise or purchase a couch that includes an ottoman.
- Good Posture – It’s important to find sofas that allow you to sit upright and fit your body. Therefore, you need to be sure to find a couch with the right seat height and seat depth to suit your seated measurements. Armrests are also an important feature for ergonomic seating.
5 Couches That Provide Excellent Back Support
After considering all of the features we mentioned above, we combed through tons of sofas and chose the 6 that we thought were best at providing proper back support. We’ve considered proper support features, reclining options, footrest options, as well as those with good seat heights and depths.
Price: starting at $1595
With extra-large seating, high-grade foam and channeling in the seat and back cushions, and a hardwood frame, Allform sectional sofas are great at providing back support, modern style, and ultra customizability.
The Rivet Sloan, from Amazon, is a great Mid-Century style ergonomic loveseat. Built with high-density foam cushions and a solid, hardwood frame it’s a great medium-firm sofa for back support.
The Homelegance bonded leather, double glider recliner sofa features a double reclining mechanism, channel-tufted foam cushions and headrests, and smooth gliding motion to those who require back and/or mobility support.
The Larkinhurst contemporary, three-seater, leather sofa from Ashley Furniture features a plush upholstery with high-density foam cushions and two throw pillows for extra back support.
The modern styled Serta Copenhagen loveseat features soft, rounded arms, ergonomic, straight-back cushions, an individually wrapped coil support system, and high-density foam, making it one of our top picks for best sofa for back support.
Choosing the Best Sofa For You
Now you know what to look for in a modern sofa that provides proper back support, as well as some examples of great couches for those with back issues. We’re going to wrap up with a few extra tips on how to find the best couches for your particular situation.
- Look for quality materials and upholstery, like top grain leather, high-density foam, hardwood or metal frames, and a spring support system.
- Look for ergonomic features like rolled arm armrests, backrest lumbar support, and headrests.
- Consider options that also fit your other needs, like sleeper sofas, sofas that match your other room decor, and sofas that are a good fit (in size) for your space.
- For help choosing where to buy your next sofa, see our Best Place to Buy a Sofa Article.