West Elm Price, Durability, Delivery, Pros and Cons
West Elm, launched through parent company Williams Sonoma in 2002, has a strong focus on selling quality, high-end furniture at reasonable prices.
Unlike other Williams-Sonoma’s brands, West Elm’s designs take a slightly edgier, contemporary approach that plays very well with young professionals. A combination of clean lines, bold colors, and modern textiles sets them apart from more traditional sister brands like Pottery Barn.
While they are a younger brand, West Elm is already in more than 85 cities across the U.S. as well as Europe, Australia, and the Middle East.
West Elm Pros and Cons
- Shop in person or online
- Large selection
- White glove delivery service
- Design Consultations
- 30 day return policy
- Flat rate shipping for non-parcel items
- No free shipping
- No advertised warranties
- Limited return window
How much are sofas/couches from West Elm?
West Elm sofas range between $500 to $3000. On the lower end of the price range are basic three-seat sofas or loveseats. On the higher end are oversized sectionals and leather sofas.
Along with sofas, West Elm offers a variety of different sofa options including chaises, and daybeds, lounge chairs, and many more seating options.
What is the most popular sofa/couch from West Elm?
Shelter 2-Piece Terminal Chaise Sectional
Price: Starts at $1598
Sofa Dimensions: 105.5″W x 83″D x 30″H
Seat Height: 18”
Seat Depth: 24”
Seat Depth (chaise): 69.5”
Arm Height: 27.5”
Leg Height: 1.5”
Interior Seat width: 94.5″
Back Height: 27.5″
Exterior Options: Numerous fabric options available
Available Fabric Colors: Numerous color options available
West Elm has covered all three sides of this sleek upholstered shelter frame with loose, reversible cushions that are the same height as the back. The result is a deep-seated sectional that feels like a cozy cocoon. Every Shelter sofa is assembled in the USA with hand-built frames and hand-finished upholstery.
- Hand-built frames with hand-finished upholstery.
- Solid oak and engineered hardwood frame with reinforced joinery.
- All wood is kiln-dried for added durability.
- High-gauge sinuous springs provide cushion support.
- Seat cushions have fiber-wrapped, resilient polyurethane foam cores.
- Back cushions are poly fiber filled.
- Cushions are reversible with zip-off covers (chaise cushion is not reversible).
- Sectional pieces attach via alligator clips (included).
- Concealed support legs for a streamlined profile (removable).
- Assembled in the USA.
- Blot spills with a clean, colorfast towel.
- Spot clean with a damp cloth or sponge, gently blotting to remove excess water, then air dry.
- For stains that can’t be removed, professional cleaning is advised.
- Periodical fluffing of cushions and vacuuming crevices is recommended.
- To prevent fading, keep fabric out of direct sunlight.
How long does it take for West Elm to deliver sofas?
West Elm sofas can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to ship but may arrive sooner or take longer to ship depending on what’s in stock locally or if you’ve made a custom order. Unlike other companies that just drop your sofa off at the curb, West Elm offers you the option of white glove delivery service which includes the delivery, unpackaging of your item and bringing it inside to stage where you like.
Delivery ranges from $150 to $500 depending on the amount of your order and your distance from a local warehouse.
How long do West Elm sofas typically last?
West Elm does not advertise any warranties for their items, so it is difficult to say how long a West Elm sofa would last. A reasonable assumption for a sofa that is gently used, is 3 to 5 years of life.
West Elm Policies
West Elm offers a 30-day return policy, with exclusions, or 7 days for Quick Ship upholstery items for a refund of merchandise value. An original receipt or gift receipt is required. Monogrammed items and Made-to-Order furniture or rugs are not eligible for returns.
West Elm does not advertise or specify any type of warranty for their products on their site.
- Trial/Returns: 30 days (fees included)
- Financing: Financing available
- Warranty: No advertised warranties
- Where it’s made: Unspecified
Real West Elm Customer Reviews
We enjoyed reviewing West Elm and think this brand is a great choice for shoppers who are:
- Those looking for trendy, stylish furniture and in-home white glove delivery service.
- Those who don’t mind paying for shipping and are comfortable with a 30-day return window.
- Those who don’t plan to put heavy wear on the sofa as West Elm does not advertise any warranty program.
- Those who might prefer to visit a showroom as West Elm has many store locations.
“I bought a small townhome after my home burnt down, so I needed to buy all new furniture. I couldn’t figure out how to make my downstairs a living and dining area without feeling crowded. I went to West Elm and the designer designed my area on her computer. The delivery was on time, clean and careful and when they brought in my buffet and it felt crowded, I just asked them to please take it back. Also, if you have their credit card, you get a lot of money back in rewards. They are my favorite company!”
“I have decorated two homes with West Elm and found the products & service to be outstanding! Staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Important to understand not all items are stocked, fortunately I’ve had good luck so far. They offer a set up service in some cities, or TaskRabbit is another great resource for assembling furniture. Love the style…… that goes without saying!”
“We purchased a couch and two tables from West Elm in the beginning of November. We have received one of the tables. The other will supposedly be here January 30. They have now pushed back delivery on the couch for the fourth time to April 26th. We will never purchase anything from this store again.”
“Their furniture is built with cheap materials with outrageous price tags! Though, I do love their accessories!”